It’s BBQ time in Tennessee: Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.
If you’re new to Memphis, or just visiting: Enjoy lunch at Downtown BBQ joint so you don’t arrive at the festival hungry. Get to the park early, walk around, say hello and meet the teams. Many tents are sponsored by local businesses that want you as a customer.
Here’s my guide to enjoying BBQ fest:
- Check out the Entertainment schedule: Piggy Idol and bands each night on the Cattleman’s BBQ Main Stage.
- Free Admission at Lunchtime: 11am to 1pm on Thursday and Friday, this is a good time to walk around and meet people. Avoid Saturday daytime judging hours: 11am to 4pm.
- Sign up for the Kingsford Tour of Champions & Cooker’s Caravan: 2-4pm and 4-6pm slots on both Thursday and Friday, you get to be an on-site judge of six teams.
- Park closing at Midnight on Thursday and Friday, 10pm on Saturday: Anyone without a 24-Hour wristband will be tossed out.
- Check out the Downtown Parking Map: there is no event parking. Get a MATA Trolley pass or use Taxi Magic: Cheaper than a DUI.
- Bring a VALID photo ID and cash in singles and small bills, you can’t buy food from tents but you can tip the teams for hospitality and make donations.
- Dress for the weather, dirt, walking and the cooking heat! Bug spray and sunscreen required. Hydrate or else YOU WILL GET SICK.
- There’s an App for that! Both Apple and Android
- Mind the the rules: BBQ FAQ KEEP IT FAMILY FRIENDLY.
- MPD will be trolling, 201 Poplar is full on Monday and Tuesday morning of people who had too much fun at BBQ. Be safe and have fun, but don’t get too crazy. Don’t be the like the swimmers…You have rights. Know them. [INFOGRAPHIC] Text me, tweet me, if you gotta reach me: @MissAttyMaam 901-213-6529